Welcome to Commas and Quotations...

Here you will find a new blog post each day featuring a 1st chapter or an excerpt from an author. It's impossible to wade through all the books on amazon to find something you might enjoy. Most readers rely on a beautiful cover to sell them a book, and others listen to recommendations from friends and family. We're going to do both for you here at Commas and Quotations, but you'll get to read a snippet from the book and decide for yourself if it is your cup of tea. If you think you might want to come back and see us on a regular basis, take 10 seconds out of your day and 'Subscribe to Commas and Quotations' (over on the right) to receive the excerpts delivered right to your email account. Be sure to follow us on Google+, too! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment on the excerpt to let the authors know what you think. Their buy links and social links will always be under the excerpts, so take advantage of that and make a new friend! And as always... Happy Reading from Commas and Quotations! =)

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Excerpt from 'Erin the Fire Goddess' by Lavinia Urban

*Young Adult Paranormal*

Chapter 1

 
             I’ve always felt like an outsider. I’ve never fitted in anywhere. Even at home!
Yes, my parents and sister are great and love me whole-heartedly, but I still always feel like I don’t belong.  The three of them are outgoing, sporty and popular. People just gravitate towards them, whereas I feel like I have always repelled them.
At school, I am a loner and it's not necessarily by choice. Like I said, I repel people.  So when my parents sat us, my sister and I, down to tell us we were moving to their home town of Galladale, I was kind of relieved, excited, nervous and scared.  Even then I tried to hide the excitement I was feeling, it was just easier that way. I wasn’t going to get my hopes up that I would actually make any friends.
“That’s not fair!”  My sister, Kasey-Ray's shrill cries of objection broke through my thoughts.  I looked at my normally happy sister as she continued to rant. 
“What about my friends? I’ll never get to see them!”
She looked like she had been handed a death sentence.  I could see the tears welling up in her eyes. Even when she was upset, she was beautiful, her perfectly proportioned features, long blonde hair and dazzling blue eyes.
“I’m sure they can come and visit.” My mum smiled reassuringly at my sister, after a quick glance of confirmation to our dad.
“And besides, they’d only be a phone call away.” My dad added, as he looked at my mum.  It was a strange look, like they were communicating, without the need for words, which they did often.
My parents, Kate and John Tait, had known each other since birth.  Apparently, my grandparents had been best friends and they had always known that my parents would be together.  They used to tell my sister and me, that from birth, if they were separated they would cry.  Luckily, both sets of my grandparents had lived next door to each other.
My parents were both born on the same day, only 4 minutes apart. My mum is the prettiest woman alive, in my opinion. Jaw length brown hair, green eyes and an amazing smile.  People often said she was Snow-White’s twin sister. But to me, she was far more beautiful.
My dad is just as good looking. Dark hair, chocolate brown eyes and he can be so funny.  Even in the lowest of my moods, he can always make me smile.
I sighed and stood up, ready to make my way out of the living room.  Both of my parents turned to look at me.  Kasey-Ray was oblivious to the shift of attention, too consumed in her own self-pity.
“Erin?” They chorused with puzzlement.
“I’m going to start packing.”
My parents looked pleased that I wasn’t going to argue with them.
I took the stairs two at a time and almost bounced into my bedroom.  I could feel myself smiling. I fell backwards onto my bed and stared at the ceiling.
“Get a grip.” I chastised myself. I wasn’t going to allow myself to get excited.  I sat up and turned towards the mirror, well if I hadn’t stopped smiling before, I had now.
My brown shoulder length hair, hung there like rats tails, my green eyes had no sparkle and right there on the left side of my face, covering the whole cheek, was a huge reddy purple birthmark.  This always brought me back to reality. I was a 14 year old freak!
Buy Links:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: