Welcome to Commas and Quotations...

Here you will find a new blog post each day featuring a 1st chapter or an excerpt from an author. It's impossible to wade through all the books on amazon to find something you might enjoy. Most readers rely on a beautiful cover to sell them a book, and others listen to recommendations from friends and family. We're going to do both for you here at Commas and Quotations, but you'll get to read a snippet from the book and decide for yourself if it is your cup of tea. If you think you might want to come back and see us on a regular basis, take 10 seconds out of your day and 'Subscribe to Commas and Quotations' (over on the right) to receive the excerpts delivered right to your email account. Be sure to follow us on Google+, too! I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment on the excerpt to let the authors know what you think. Their buy links and social links will always be under the excerpts, so take advantage of that and make a new friend! And as always... Happy Reading from Commas and Quotations! =)

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Excerpt from 'Hell's Gift - Book 2' by K. S. Haigwood

*Paranormal Suspense Fantasy Romance 18+*

Thoros
Thoros sat, propped against his favorite oak in front of the Chamberlain home. He had expected Josselyn to have already returned, but waiting wasn't bothering him.
He thumbed through a Hustler magazine, a little disturbed by the way women kept their bodies these days; some completely hairless, breast implants. He turned the magazine sideways and opened the centerfold. A broad smile graced his face as he imagined the tattooed, pierced female before him would please Velan very much.
He memorized her name, so he could check in on her later to see if possibly her time on Earth might be up soon. He wagered finding an excuse to take her sooner than planned wouldn't be a problem.
Of course, Kitty Swallows was probably a fake name, unless her parents were warped in the head, but he had his way of finding even the oddest aliases some people chose to go by, and wasn't the least bit put off by the handle.
He heard the pop come from inside the house and he quickly stood, folded the magazine and tucked it in his back pocket.
She didn't come outside right away, but a smile spread across his face when he heard the cheers and laughing from hearing happy news.
The female angel would be eating out of his hand soon, he thought. No woman had ever been able to resist him after touching their lips to his. He wouldn't even be surprised if she didn't beg him to take her with him today, give up Heaven and all of her loved ones in exchange for waking up next to his body for all of eternity. It wasn't like he would throw her out in the syde with the other minions. He would keep her safe and happy in his quarters, and Lucifer wouldn't object as long as she could be convinced to give up her soul on a silver platter. Who needed a soul anyway? It's not like the damn thing is good for anything, he thought, and then began to walk toward the house with his head held high and confident in his plan.
He'd reached the second step when the door opened and a very nervous looking Josselyn walked out.
Thoros held out his hand, palm up. "Wanna take a walk? I will be a perfect gentleman. I promise."
She nodded, then started down the steps without touching him.
He rushed to catch up with her long, quick strides. "You in a hurry? I thought we'd--I don't know, maybe take it a little slower, get to know one another first."
She stopped and looked at him, then burst out laughing. "This isn't a date, demon."
His brow creased and he sucked in air through his teeth. "Ouch. Easy with the 'D' word. Not all demons are bad."
She rolled her eyes, then started her speed-walking again. "I'm sure you're sweet and innocent, Thoros. I can't imagine you ever doing anything bad."
"You can drop the sarcasm. My lustful way is what landed me in Hell. What I meant is, not all of us are mean. We have feelings, too, Josselyn, and right now you're stomping all over mine."
"Oh, good grief, you can't be serious," she said, and looked at him. His hand was over his heart and his bottom lip was poked out in a pout. It was obvious he'd been joking about his feelings being injured, but it made her laugh lightly which was probably what he was trying for anyway, she thought. "Okay," she shrugged her shoulders and began walking at a slower pace, "I guess there is no real harm in walking a little slower."
Thoros smiled. "That's better. So, since this is our first non-date, let's get to know each other a little better. How long have you been an angel?"
She grumbled incomprehensibly as she glanced at him from the corner of her eye. "Does it really matter?"
"Look, if I'm going to let you kiss me, I need to know a few things about you first. What kind of reputation would I have if I just went around letting strange women kiss me?"
"You're the Prince of Lust. I'm sure you do that kind of thing all the time."
He shook his head. "Not anymore. I stopped recently; went cold-turkey on kissing strangers."
"Ha! Since when?"
He stopped walking, and his brow furrowed as he realized what he was about to say was completely true. "Since I met you." What the hell is this woman doing to me?
Ignoring his weird behavior, Josselyn continued walking and answered him, "I think...about one hundred and sixty human years. It was in the mid eighteen hundreds when I died. I drowned while swimming."
"Skinny-dipping?"
"Sorry to ruin your fantasy, but no."
"Ever have children?" he asked, falling into step beside her once again.
She shook her head. "No. I never married."
He chuckled. "So? I didn't have a wife. It never stopped me from getting--"
She shot him a dirty look. "There is a reason I went to Heaven and you did not."
"Are you trying to tell me that you never did anything sinful in your life?"
"I'm not trying to tell you anything."
"Why not?"
"What's the point?"
"Just because we are from different sides of the train tracks doesn't mean we have to be enemies, Josselyn."
"I'm not suggesting we are enemies, Thoros."
"Well, then, let's be friends."
She stopped and glared at him. "Fine. We're friends. Happy now?"
Thoros glanced around them, then shook his head. "I will be happy when you kiss me. You're not going back on your word, are you?"
"No," she snapped. "I just wanted to be far enough away from the house so the other angels don't see us."
Thoros turned to glance at the house. It was approximately two hundred yards away, and there wasn't a chance of even Lucifer witnessing them lock lips from that distance. Plus, he'd made himself invisible when he arrived, so only Josselyn could see or sense him anyway.
He reached out with his hand and took hers. "I think we're good here. You can kiss me now."
She puffed out her cheeks, blowing out a breath. "How am I supposed to kiss you without you leaning down? You are at least six inches taller than I am."
He smiled, then dropped to one knee in front of her. "This better?"
She growled silently in annoyance and desperately tried to think of a reason it wasn't better so she could stall a little longer, but nothing came to her.
Josselyn swallowed nervously and closed the distance between their bodies.
Thoros grinned up at her, waiting patiently for her to make the move that would willingly make her fall under his spell.
"Don't disappoint me," he said with a smile.
She framed his face with shaky hands. His eyes locked with hers and any trace of anxiety radiating from her aura fell away to somewhere other than where they were. He could see in her eyes that she wanted to kiss him.
Josselyn shook her head. "I won't."
           The corner of his mouth twitched up and then her lips met his.
 
Buy Links: .99 for a limited time only!
Social Links:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment